Welcome

Thanks for dropping by to take a look at some of my thoughts and ideals. Hope you will let me know if this has been helpful, useful, inspiring or whatever, and remember to come back soon.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

I'm Back

Gee this summer has been so busy that I've really had to take some weeks off to keep my sanity.  At least I think I am still sane, but then you need to ask someone who knows me and they may tell you different! 

At any rate, it seems that I always have people asking me about what size a quilt needs to be for what size bed.  What do I consider a baby quilt and what do I consider a twin quilt.  Well I happened to find a chart and I just wanted to take a minute to just write about sizes and post one list that I have found.  Now one thing I have to say is you will find many charts and they all seem to vary a little either in width or length.  Here is the list I found.

Standard Bed Sizes
Bed Size
Twin39"x 76"
Double54"x 76"
Queen60"x 80"
King72"x 80"
Dual King78"x 80"
Quilt Size
Twin68"x 90"
Double80"x 90"
Queen90"x 108"
King110"x 110"
Dual King120"x 120"

Now in addition to the above sizes which are standard bed sizes there are lap quilts and baby quilts.  Most baby quilts will be around 36" x 45" or slightly larger.  Lap size quilts are slightly larger than the baby quilt in that they are typically around 45" x 56" or slightly larger.  In addition to that you have a twin long bed which you will find in most college dorms.  And if all of this isn't confusing enough you will have standard answers to questions like how large should my quilt be to fit my double bed.  The standard answer is you should have a drop of at least 8" on each side of the bed and the foot.  Note the measurements on this chart the twin bed mattress size is 39".  If you have a drop of 8" on each side your quilt would need to be 55" wide and for a 76" length you would need a quilt 84" long.  55 x 84 is not on that chart. Instead we have 60" x 90" which would give a drop of 12" on each side and 14" at the foot of the bed.  Wouldn't you at least think the side drop and the bottom drop should be the same?  If you do the math you will note that the same thing happens with the other quilt sizes without a standard drop for most of the sizes listed.  What's a body to do?

In addition to all of this confusion you also have personal preferences, and in addition to that you have to take into consideration the size of the people who will be using the quilt.  Now if Mr. Heart is going to get the quilt and he sleeps on a twin bed, but he weights in at about 300 lbs, you may want to give him a little more drop room.  Eight inches on each side may mean the quilt will not cover him.  If he sleeps on his side the quilt will not cover him in front and back!!!  As for me since we have a queen bed we need a queen quilt, but then my husband is not small, over 200 lbs and I'm no light weight myself.  In addition my baby Frenchie sleeps with me and she sleeps on top of the cover between me and my husband so that means we need more width to our quilts than the normal person would need.  Otherwise somebody winds up with no quilt during the night!

My suggestion is make your quilt top without the borders and make sure that fits the top of your bed, then add the amount of drop that you want on your quilt and use that as your standard for that size bed  If your top without the borders fits the bed then the borders will be your drop whether they are 3 borders making a total drop of 10" or 1 border of 14".  Quilts are individual works of art and the size depends on the person making the quilt.  Remember the charts are just guidelines.  There is no absolutes.

Remember quilts are gifts of love.  Everytime someone wraps up in a quilt you made them they will think of you!  Put your love in each seam and that love will shine for generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment