Welcome

Thanks for dropping by to take a look at some of my thoughts and ideals. Hope you will let me know if this has been helpful, useful, inspiring or whatever, and remember to come back soon.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

My "Working" Trip

Well double drat!!  I have to take a trip for work!  Gosh, those are so boring..well usually, but what can I do to make this one better.  Let's see...  I know that I can take a person with me and they can stay in the room with me at no additional cost.  Gee why not get someone to ride with me..  Now who to ask.  Dear hubbie refuses to go..he'll be bored, poor baby..  Hum, what about best bud..oh well, she just had surgery and is recovering and can't do much walking right now.  Darn, that won't be any fun for her and she will stress if she thinks I am passing anything up because she can't walk a lot right now.  Hum, oh I know.  I have another really great friend who shares a lot of common interest, quilting of course and gardening and most importantly to us both our Savior.  Hum, she loves going to Florida.  Maybe...... Yea, she can get off work and she doesn't mind riding with me!  Trip time.  Oh dear, I had to call those people in Florida and talk with customer service and they commented they were looking forward to seeing me so I thought why not and asked, "do you think you would be able to get the names of any quilt shops there so I could visit them while I'm down there?"  Oh boy, I got an e-mail from one of the people at the business in Florida and she is a quilter and will be happy to give me the name of her local quilt shop, and she will can't wait to talk with me and see my quilting.  Now what to take on my trip....Money....I do have one quilt that I love that I did some special quilting on, and I do have that book that I made several years ago of my quilting that year.  Those have to go into the car..

Time to leave and of course there are shops on the road that both Kay and I want to stop if we have time and anything else along the way.  Well if you are ever heading South on I 75 south of Atlanta at McDonough, GA,  "A Scarlet Thread" is a don't miss stop.  They have wonderful fabric, great samples, and friendly staff!  Of course we had to pick up a few things there including a pattern for some soft houseshoes and they even had the fabric to put on the bottoms.  (You know that really neat stuff that we used to see on the "footies" of childrens pajamas so they wouldn't slide.)  Goodness this is great stuff.  There was a pattern for casserole covers that I had not seen before and I have a friend who I know will use those so got to get the pattern.  And then there were a couple of the "Quilt Diva" patterns that I just had to have for sometime in the future when I have more time to sit and sew.  Boy I can't wait until I retire.  I'm really saving all this stuff so I'll have something to do then!  I'm afraid I may get bored if I don't have a lot to do. hehehe  I also picked up a flyer for the "Greater Atlanta Quilt Shop Hop" which will be coming up in March.  Have to start planning now!

Well after leaving "A Scarlet Thread" we headed further south and eventually crossed the Florida state line and guess what...they have quilt shops down there too!  Saw a billboard advertising a quilt shop at Lake City, Florida so decided to stop by there.  Well golly gee when I got almost there I remembered, I've been here before but it had been a couple of years.  I can't believe I forgot this place.  Really great smaller shop where they cut their own 2 1/2" strips for jelly rolls and you can just drop in and buy some strips out of their basket so if you just need a few more lights or darks or whatever and don't really have anything you want to cut then they have you covered.  Lots of fabic and again lots of samples hanging on the walls.  "Fabric Art Shop" in Lake City has some wonderfully helpful people who are willing to help or just let you wander around and decide what attracts you.  Well I had to pick up a couple of things there also, some really great fabric that I know my bud will love. Oh, if you get by there be sure and pick up their "Quilt Witch Gazettte" and if you don't do anything else take a look at the classes.  Just reading the description will give you ideals galore.  Hum....

Oh well, got to get a move on if we are ever going to get there.  No more stops along the way.

Finally made it down to Weston and met a wonderful lady who is a quilter.  We spent some time ohhing and ahhing over each others pictures and Tessa was kind enough to share some of her ideals and things she does like putting this incredable little pocket on the back of her quilts with a little something special coming out of the pocket and using her embroidery machine to put a little something special in there.  So many new ideals!!  I've just got to remember them!!  Her love of butterflies and nature has her putting a butterfly signature piece on her quilts that is precious.  Her comment that she found this fabric at Walmart and she just loves the print gave me pause until I had the time to drive over to her local shop.  Then I understood why!! 

Walked up to the door and had to ring a bell to be "buzzed" into the quilt shop.  (Sorry, but we don't have this in my neck of the woods and it really doesn't make you feel safe and secure.  Oh well, let's see what they have...)  Some really cute samples hanging around with signs on some that indicate they have the pattern available for those.  Of course, wouldn't you know the one I loved the bestest was not available and when I asked about a pattern for that was told, well "if you don't have one of these sewing machines you really can't do that quilt".  Well excuse me, but maybe I can't do that exact quilt, but I may be able to do something very similar but no go.  Oh well.  Sorry I was not impressed at all.  While the fabric was good quality quilting fabric there really wasn't much to choose from.  This quilt shop seemed to focus more on knitting and selling machines and obtaining work for the owner to do on her longarm machine than helping quilters.  Of course I know if you don't make money then you can't stay in business, but a friendly attitude will increase sales dramatically.  Smile, your face won't crack!!!  I left feeling quite depressed that my new quilting friend doesn't have a "really good" quilt shop.  Went right back and invited her to come visit me anytime and I would be happy to take her to some "real" quilt shops!!!  I'm so thankful for our local shop and the friendly customer service and helpful sales people in addition to great samples and wonderful fabric!

Oh well, it's time to go home.  No more quilt shopping this trip.  After all this is a business trip!  Oh I've just got to stop by that hydroponic vegetable farm on the way home......

A great time was had, and I have a new quilting friend, who I hope will keep in touch and lots of new ideals.  Now let's get quilting!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment