I have promised that I will try to be better about posting on my blog so I am attempting to do that and I want to go ahead and show you some more pictures of what I was up to the weeks before Christmas when I was running around here like a chicken with her head cut off! So here are some more pics.
This quilt was comissioned by one of the physicians I work with. She wanted blue and some yellow. It had to be masculine, meaning to her that there could not be any fabric with a flower print. Then she picked out this pattern and wanted it to be very scrappy. Well believe me it was. I dug through my stash and pulled out every piece of fabric I had that was any shade of blue all the way to teal! I had well over 100 different fabrics in this quilt and none of them with a flower mofit! Hard to believe huh.
Another specification was that she wanted it to have a little bling. Well the bling was achieved by using Fairy Frost fabric in the yellow with the gold metalic print and the white with the silver metalic print and then I picked a grey fabric with just a hint of a shimmer. The Fairy Frost and the gray were used as the background fabrics.
After the quilt was started then she said she really had wanted to do some purple in it but she had so much purple in the room she was afraid to do a purple quilt. Hence the purple border and binding, which when all was said and done, she really, really liked and the backing is the same purple.
Rather than put a label on the quilt, she wanted me to do what I call quilt writing on the borders of the quilt. This particular quilt I decided that I would only do a top and bottom border and no border on the sides. I guess I could have decreased the time I spent on the quilt if I had done side borders rather than all that extra stripping, but then again I really like the finished project. The top border has her husbands favorite scripture. I just used contrasting thread in my quilting machine and it turned out quite well.
This is just a closer look at one of the stars so you can see the scrappiness of this quilt. I made the strata and then cut out the pieces. When I was laying the quilt out I really wished that I had kept my pieces together better because it became a huge headache to find the pieces that matched and it looked so much better when the entire star was made out of the same strata pieces. Problem was that the strata was very different and I would not have enough of one kind to do the entire star. If I ever do this pattern again I will have a much better ideal of how I want to do the strata and how much of each strata I need.
I really love the scrappy quilts and there will be more. I have some pieces left over from this project and I have plans for those "one of these days". Oh me, another UFO!
I also finished up a batch of my Quilts for Kids and those have all been mailed now which made me feel really good!
Well I can hardly wait until my next post because I want to tell you what I am up to next! Ya'll have a quilty month with lots of love and laughter!