Well, I decided to go ahead and make a quilt using the block pattern that I had demonstrated. First I had to decide on fabric. Just prior to these events a friend, knowing how much I loved oriental patterns had given me a piece of fabric that she had that did not match anything in her stash. She was trying to whittle down her fabric stash to more manageable proportions. (Something I have never, ever, ever had the urge to do.) This particular piece of fabric was an oriental garden complete with pagodas. Well the name of the pattern was Garden Path so why not use that oriental garden fabric to make a garden path, and then I pulled out some more oriental prints from my stash that contrasted with the piece I was given and then I picked a very neutral background.
|This is the garden path block and some of the fabric|
I chose to go with the piece of fabric I was given.
You can see in the above picture there is a variation in the spacing between the blocks, and in the picture below.
|This picture gives a better picture of the different block setting.|
You will notice the points are closer to the border for some blocks.
The points on the blocks are not in a regimented line.
Well I got the blocks and sashing together, in much less time than you would imagine. Just about 2-3 hrs and I was ready for borders. Borders are really special things. You simply don't want to forget the function of the border. The border functions to stop the eye. It says "Okay that was the quilt and that is the extra special portion, take time to look again." Really the border is not there because you want to make the quilt bigger and so you just added borders until it was the right size. This particular quilt, I felt, was to have very special quilting, so I didn't want a first border that would overwhelm, just a little pause and then we will see what's next.. My choice was a very narrow, green and black geometric that really looks almost like a solid black with a little texture. Turned out to be just what I wanted.
Now I was ready for a final border and I wanted the oriental fabric again, but it needed to be a fabric that combined many of the colors I had used in the blocks. The cards were the perfect choice as far as I was concerned. I did make sure that the fabric was cut so the cards were all correctly oriented to the person viewing the quilt. On top the cards are all with the top of the cards toward the outside top of the quilt and down the sides they cards are all with the sides of the cards on the outside of quilt and still with the top of the card toward the outside top of the quilt and the bottom border has the top of the cards against the border and the bottom of the cards pointing to the outside edge of the quilt.
|This picture of the bottom left corner of the quilt shows |
the fabric orientation of the border.
Well now it's time to pick out the backing and of course I had to go with another oriental fabric. This is one I really loved and I had to piece the backing. I learned a long time ago that when you were having to piece a backing the correct way was to make all 3 pieces the same size or put a larger piece in the center and identical smaller widths on each side. It is not preferred to just place a seam down the center of the backing. Well since I had gone to so much trouble with the rest of the quilt, I needed to go all the way, and since I had matched the pattern so well at the seams on the border I wanted to see if I could do that on the backing also.
| ! |
It really is difficult to tell where the seam is in this picture.
I put an exclamation point under the seam and the seam is not at the end
of the wooden post but going through the center of the second flower
from the end of the post.
All in all I think the quilt turned out very well. I did do some special quilting, but not what I had originally envisioned. I actually love the quilting and how it goes along with the whole theme, but I'll give you a look at that next week.