Welcome

Thanks for dropping by to take a look at some of my thoughts and ideals. Hope you will let me know if this has been helpful, useful, inspiring or whatever, and remember to come back soon.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Quilts for Kids

Quilts for Kids is a wonderful organization made up of volunteers who quilt quilts to give to kids who are hurting.  Now as you would expect most of those kids are in hospitals, but sometimes there are others in need.  A little over a year ago a devastating tornado hit Ringgold, Georgia and many people lost their homes and most of their belongings within just a few minutes.  There were also lives lost in that terrible storm and the mental damage done to many will forever be there.  The Georgia Chapter of Quilts for Kids donated quilts to those who suffered in that storm.  As wonderful as it seems to have volunteers who will come in a sew these quilts, this organization reaches out to people who do not live near them by mailing kits out when requested.  They will mail you the fabric to make the quilt top, the backing fabric, and enough fabric comes with the backing to put a binding on the quilt.  The volunteer then sews the top and quilts the quilt and puts the binding on the quilt and washs it and then mails it back to the Chapter.  I think it is fantastic that they have volunteers to cut the fabric kits up and get them ready to mail out to outlying volunteers.

When I first heard of this organization I e-mailed them and they sent me a kit for me to sew which I did and mailed it back to them. Later I asked for some kits for the guild and they mailed me more kits which the guild has been work on. These are really easy quilts with just an alternating 9 patch pattern.

Quilts for Kids
This is one of the quilts that was made by the guild.  The colors are bright and cheerful and I'm sure that they will help brighten the day of that very ill child and give them something warm and cuddlie to hold to.

If you don't have anything to do, and want to add a little cheer to someone else's life you might consider looking these people up and sewing a quilt for them.  You furnish the sewing, the batting, quilting,  and of course the cost of mailing the quilt back to them.  You can purchase a twin quilt size batting and that will be more than enough for 2 of these quilts so your cost is not very large and that is the only cost to the volunteer other than the time they spend.
Here are the 3 quilts the guild made and I did the quilting and tried to make each unique!

This one is so definately a girl quilt I had to do the flowers.

This could be either a boy or girl so I went with leaves in the border.

But then in the alternate blocks I did the meandering hearts.

This one made me think of the beach and the little bubbles that they always show rising to the top from the fishies. lol

In the small border here I just did the ocean waves around.

Just simple meandering in the alternate blocks.



Nothing fancy, but made with lots of love and hope and prayers for the child who receives these quilts they will know the comfort of Jesus through their illness.

Now the wonderful guild which I am privileged to be a member of purchased the batting for the quilts they volunteered to make and also allowed a member who had requested a quilt for herself to use so all she had to do was sew the quilt top, bind, wash and mail it back. 

I am blessed beyond measure to be able to help a few others along my way!  I hope you all have a wonderful day and much happy sewing and quilting!


No comments:

Post a Comment